Shopping Safety Tips
The Alexandria Police Department would like to remind you of some helpful Shopping Safety Tips.
Safety in the Parking Lots
- Park and walk in well-lit areas.
- Walk with confidence be aware of people around you, and know where you parked.
- Always lock your car doors after leaving or entering your car.
- Have your keys in your hand so that you do not have to linger before entering your car. Check the back seat before you get in.
- Don’t leave packages on the car seats. Keep packages out of sight in the trunk or under a covered rear cargo area.
Safety While Shopping
- Pay with checks or credit cards when possible. Do not flash large amounts of cash.
- Don’t leave any purchases or your purse unattended while shopping or in a dressing room.
- Try to carry as little as possible. Make multiple trips to your vehicle to store your purchases.
- Never leave your children alone.
- If your children get separated from you, teach them to find a cashier or a security officer and ask for help.
Report all suspicious activity. Call 911 with a description.